Ahh, and back to Jyvaskyla. The sun is shining in Finland again. Colder, but so much more beautiful. I know I already gave a bit of an update on my travels but now that I’m back and reflecting on the last 20 days, I have a few more comments to share.
- I became Finnish – didn’t say ‘bonsoir’ to people in the hallways … just awkward Finnish dodges.
- My French completely came back. My thoughts, dreams were all in French.
- Even the French hate their administration
- I have no idea how the French are going to handle the new anti-smoking laws that came into force on Jan. 1st. I’m glad I caught the end of la vraie France;)
- Every Mom likes a little help in the kitchen🙂
- Honour Christmas with your ancestors and people that have passed – strange but the graveyard is the most popular place to be on the 24th – well, strange at first, but kind of enlightening upon reflection (why do graveyards need to be spooky and only thought of as a place for mourning or for Halloween?) It’s beautiful too – all lit up with candles.
- Great people, great city.
- Aside from the many philosophical, deep conversations with new friends… my “Ali G is Borat!” probably took the cake;)
- A quick trip all by your lonesome is good for the mind and the soul🙂
- The mix of old (medieval old town) and new (one of the fastest growing economies of the old Soviet Union) is stunning and thought provoking.
I guess the most amazing part though is that you learn something new with every new friend that comes along, and you always learn a little more about yourself when you allow yourself to be alone with your thoughts.
That was probably the best gift this past holiday.